Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Chili Goodness in the Crock-pot or on the Stove

Homemade from scratch CHILI.  Delicious, comforting, hearty, healthy, and all around one of the best meals for everyone.  You can make it spicy or keep it tame for kids.  Everyone loves this Chili.  Best Chili recipe, and an easy on the stove or in the crock-pot/slow-cooker dinner meal. Alohamora Open a Book http://www.alohamoraopenabook.blogspot.com/

I love chili!  I love it's heartiness, flavor, and warmth.  I love that it is full of all good healthy ingredients.  I all around love it!  

I especially love this Chili, and I don't think I'm alone on this.  I've had countless people, seriously more than I can count/recall, ask for this recipe, and now it's time I share it with you.  
You can make this homemade from scratch chili in the crock-pot and leave it all day (my preferred easy method and the flavors stew together amazingly), or you can make it on the stove and serve it in no time.  Either way, you'll be having a delicious, healthy, comfort food kids and adults will love.  

I should state that you most definitely should make this chili with this cornbread.  Best combination ever!  Is there anything better than chili and cornbread on a Fall/Autumn or Winter day?  

Chili
Recipe: Alohamora 

Active Time: 25 minutes
Inactive Time: 1 hour or however long you want. 
Servings: 8-10 

Ingredients: 
1 lb ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken (you can omit this for vegetarian)
1/3 c. onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder (optional)
2 cans (15 oz) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 oz) chili beans
2 cans (15 oz) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (15 oz) tomatoes (stewed, diced, or whatever you prefer/have on hand)
2 tsp prepared mustard
1 Tbsp ketchup
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp chili powder (more if you want more kick)
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional Toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream/greek yogurt, or cornbread

Directions: 


  1. In a large skillet cook your ground meat.
  2. Add the onion, garlic, and the chipotle chili powder to the skillet.  The chipotle chili powder is optional, but I love the flavor it adds.
  3. While the meat is cooking I usually start the opening of the cans process. 
  4. Add the cooked meat to the crock-pot, or to a large pot on the stove over low to medium heat.
  5. Add the beans and tomatoes and stir to combine everything. 
  6. Add the spices, and stir to combine it.  Feel free to add more/less chili powder depending on your desired level of spiciness. 
  7. Heat the chili until it is hot.  In the crock-pot I let it cook on low for several hours.  On the stove I heat it for about an hour. 
  8. Enjoy it plain, with cheddar cheese, sour cream or plain greek yogurt, and/or cornbread. 
  9. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. 

Happy Chili goodness eating!  So healthy, so hearty, and oh so delicious! 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment